ME

ME
This is me^^

Saturday 3 August 2013

Recap.3

I boarded the boat. First leg of the mission done. The boat had an eerie feel to it, being empty. It usually held around 300 people, but on this voyage it was only to hold me. I was shown to my room by one of the skeleton crew and told that if i needed anything i was just to ask. He disappeared into the woodwork and i didn't see another living soul for the next 15 hours. 

I settled down in my cabin; out with my laptop, found a power point, organised my bedding and made myself comfortable. Food stores, check. Drinks, check. Time to sleep, yeah right!
I'm not sea worn sailor one might think, coming from an island in the north sea and all. I hate boat in fact, detest them. If i can avoid them i will. The fact that i was about to spend 22 hours on a boat, crossing the north sea, a task i wasn't to sure this little vessel was capable of since it usually only fares over an hour and a half crossing to the mainland. However, if i was going to Norway, this was the way to do it.

After all of an hours sleep during the night i eventually decided 8am would be a reasonable time to "wake up". I ventured out on deck to watch the great sea heaving and swaying. We were like a ting ant of the big bulging belly of a giant, rolling down as each swell left us. Rising for a good few solid minutes, it added a little extra weight, like being on an elevator. I took my bagpipes with me, I'm not too sure why, just for something to do and perhaps a bit of nostalgic patriotism and a dash of longing for home left lingering in me. Well, i blew that all out into the North Sea and went back inside. 

The hours and minutes and second drew longer and longer and longer. Eventually, my phone beeped.
Signal? That could mean only one thing, we were close to land! Right enough, after a mad dash to the front of the boat, in the distance, Norway was erupting before my eyes! The beautiful mountain peaks were peering at me from behind the swells. 

The next few hours went by in a flash and suddenly i was sitting with my baggage waiting to leave the ship. Passport Control and sorted out everything and i was left to my mountain of luggage. In a take some, run back and get some more fashion i managed to inch my way to the exit of the building.
Outside there was a group of happy faces waiting my arrival. They embraced me in much a way reminiscent of 22 hours previous. I was here, i had done it! Let the adventure begin!

No comments: